Thursday, October 13, 2011

Making Microscope Slides

We are diving into formally learning about the human body. I found a cute work via Pininterest, sorry I would definetly link this to the correct person if I knew who you were! It was definetly a slam dunk idea for my kiddos. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful idea!! I owe you a big hug :)

                Here is the picture of how I set it up.


They did a lot of exploring with this. In fact DJ went on to make his own microscope slides.

I don't know exactly what kind of material he used. When he was finished he showed me this. Lucky for him you could see the cells in the microscope.

When DJ shows me things that he makes up on his own it just makes my heart smile. I decided to give him and Ken a lesson on making microscope slides.


                                              The materials.


 First they used the scapel to smear a little water onto the slide.

 

  Then they tweezed their objects onto the slide.

               Ken choose a flower petal.


                       DJ decided to use his hair.


                          
      They placed the cover slips on their slides, and than labeled them.
                                                          

                                              Viewing the slides.


                                                                             
Now they are looking for more things to make a microscope slide of.


                                                                          
                                                                              

                                                 


                                                                   

4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to my kids being old enough to use a microscope like that. I'll probably be looking into one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I've wanted to do this, and we have blank slides, but we still haven't done it. I need to break out the instructions, figure out how, and then just DO it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, this is awesome. Call me a nerd, but I'd like to come over for a day of school with you all if this is what you're up to. I get all excited when I think about the days when my little is old enough for projects like this ... of course I hope she'll take her time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having the kids make their own microscope slides is such a great idea. I wish we would have done that when I was in school. Great article!

    ReplyDelete

Your Comments Are Greatly Appreciated!!