Friday, June 29, 2012

Won't You Be My Neighbor? ( I can't help myself, Mister Rogers helped raise me:)

 Jo from  A Bit Of This and A Bit Of That had an incredible idea to bring bloggers together to share their neighborhoods. It has been an amazing way to learn about different cultures and geography. My kids have been loving looking at all of the different types of manholes, modes of transportation, street views, parks, local stores, mailboxes and much more from  a round the world. It has brought about discussions about how our different environments meet our needs. Today is Day 6 and it is my turn to give you a idea of what our neighborhood looks like in the city of ?, in the state of Michigan, in the country of United States, located on the continent of North America on planet Earth !!

                                                  



Welcome!! I happen to live in a city which is in my opinion one of the most diverse cities in America. Every place that I am sharing is no more than five minutes away from my home. It can be a homeschoolers dream place, because we can just walk out our door and there is so many resources just waiting to be discovered.                                        
                                                                              
 I happen to live in the capital city of Michigan. I am deliberately not sharing the name of our city. I want to see if you can tell where I live from the pictures. When I said Michigan, you guessed it didn't you?  There are tours daily of the Capitol building. My three kids and I can't count how many times we have visited, but every time we go we learn something new. It is just five minutes away.

                                                      A street view of our neighborhood.

 Just about every manhole looks like this. Sometimes you may see the writing Board of Water and Light on it. I sent the children on a scavenger hunt for one of those, or at least a more glorious looking manhole. No luck!!  It is funny how things become important, until joining this tour we could of cared less about a manhole. Now a contest has begun. I'll update you whenever we find a beautiful manhole :)

Looking to send a postcard? Here you look for the color blue. Just about every 5 blocks you'll find one.

 The city bus. This picture was taken at the bus station. You can find a bus stop  easier than you can a mailbox. They go as far as three different counties. The routes are really convenient for university students, and many public school students use the buses too. If you turn the corner from my street there is one right there.
This is our park that is made with 100% recyclable materials. You wonder where the kids are? The day I took this picture it was in the nineties. Not park weather, especially without a water fountain.

 Our local convenience store. It is my favorite store for many reasons. The most important reason is the ICE CREAM. Yum!!  Great deals on milk and cereal. Also it is open 24 hours, no worrying about what you forgot at the grocery store.

 Our Farmer's Market is a cool place to go. Sorry no pictures of the inside. It has a flea market atmosphere and everyone there is friendly.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

  The neighborhood church which is one of the oldest buildings standing.

 We are one minute from one fire station and five minutes from another. We live exactly thirty feet from the hospital as well.                                                                                 
The Justice Hall. Newly built and only a few have been able to enter. Hopefully soon we can be visitors of this place and see some court cases in action.  Another fun field trip my kiddos will love and learn a lot from. The Justice Hall is exactly two minutes from home.   


The Montessori school is just three minutes from our home. Every time we past this place my family gets so giddy. We know there is a lot of learning going on, just too pricey for our budget right now. The staff is so welcoming and if you get a chance to visit our hometown stop here first, they will make you feel right at home.

Does any of the pictures remind you of your neighborhood?  If you said Lansing was the capital city of Michigan you were right :) If you said Detroit, leave me a comment telling me why you thought that (automobiles maybe:). I would love to share more!!       

I was born and raised in this neighborhood. Left for college and came back. It has changed a lot since I was a little girl. In remembrance of a man who taught me how to be a good neighbor I will like to share this video link. Enjoy!  
          
                                                                             
Thank you so much for visiting!! Feel like doing some more sightseeing visit the blogs below and become an a round the world neighborhood tourist.

June 25th - jojoebi-designs - Saitama, Japan
June 26th - akatsuki ra-ra-ra - California, USA
June 27th - little red farm - Sweden
June 28th - "Je veux une 'tite soeur-fille" - Canary islands
June 29th - Knitty Lorn - East Devon, UK
June 30th - We Don't Need No Education - Michigan, U.S.A
July 1st - Jeollanam-do Salad - South Korea
July 2nd - Merita's Playground - Slovenia
July 3rd - kids, craft and chaos - Scotland, UK
July 4th - Zonnah's Addictions - Washington State, USA

July 6th - Se7en - South Africa
July 7th - Talia's Travel Web Log - New York, USA
July 8th - Monkey Magic - Japan
July 9th - The Pukeko Patch - Wellington, New Zealand
July 10th - Cami Daily - Berlin, Germany
July 11th - Crazy Cambridge mum - Cambridge, UK
July 12th - Schaeresteipapier - Switzerland


                                                                   

7 comments:

  1. Cool! You guys do the most fun and interesting things! i think I will check out this project too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered if that was your city! I grew up in a "suburb" (didn't used to be a suburb when my uncles and aunts grew up there) just north of you ;) When we go back to visit, the Cathedral is where we attend Mass.

    Thank you for the nice little tour of "home" - it's just too hot for the drive home these days!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to confess that I didn't know Lansing was the state capital of Michigan!
    The Capitol building is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to the Animaniacs song I always know the capital is Lansing Michigan. Where it is on the map, ah, that I have no clue at all... I'd guess near the North?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you have some great places nearby - a 24 hour store wow, to think I dream of the day the supermarket opens before 10am lol.

    Thanks for joining in,
    jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought Detroit, but I know it's not the capital. I think many of us think the popular cities are the capital. Like New York City being the capital of New York State. I bet most people don't know the capital is Albany!

    It's impressive to see the things you have at your fingertips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish we had a Montessori school that close! The church is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Your Comments Are Greatly Appreciated!!